Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Our Evening Excitement

Tuesday night was a rough night for us. Nathan had a runny nose, so he was struggling breathing. We tried putting him in the bouncer so he was more upright. He would fall asleep and wake up within 10-15 minutes. We tried the swing, but the same thing would happen. I ended up staying up with him until about midnight and then I woke Kurt up. He had volunteered earlier in the night to sleep downstairs in the recliner with Nathan, so I decided to take him up on the offer.

Just as I lay my head down thinking.....I can finally fall asleep, I hear this terrible sound coming up our road. I could only think that someone was driving way too fast on our road and there are lots of lights coming down our road (which is really unusual). You see, we live on a circular road so the only reason you should go on our road is if you live on it. Our house happens to be one of the bends in the road or the corner house. All of a sudden I hear this terrible crashing sound which causes me to jet straight out of bed and think I need to call 911. I look out my window which faces the street and thought, wow, the police are already here....hmmm. So I run downstairs and yell at Kurt, who had fallen asleep along with Nathan (go figure), and we watched the action. A vehicle being chased by the police had taken the corner too quickly and missed our yard by inches, but went right into our neighbor's yard and hit their vehicle that was in their driveway. It wasn't over yet though, because believe it or not, the person got away. So there were at least 10 cop cars right out in front of our house and people running all over. We watched this scene develop from our front window since we obviously couldn't sleep! I finally called it quits after an hour or so and Kurt said they found the person. The whole scenario didn't end for awhile, because they had to take pictures, tow the vehicle, etc. So let's just say we didn't get much sleep!

Anyways, while I was at home today in my workout clothes, I get a knock on my door that a local TV station wanted to interview neighbors....no thanks! The rest of the afternoon was filled with cars mobbing our street to check out the damage and TV stations setting up shop nearly in front of our house to do live castings. It was crazy.

So, here is the lowdown. It was a 14 year old boy who stole his parent's vehicle and was drunk (lots of no-no's there!). He was driving erratic (wonder why?) in the northern part of town and the cops chased him quite a ways before he came to a stop in our neighborhood. I guess a couple of his tires had popped because he had hit curbs all along the way, so of course he wasn't going to make our corner at the speed he was going. Today, on our road, you can see the effects of him driving on the rim...not good! Anyways, he fled the scene and probably went into our neighbor's backyard and possibly ours and got into this little alley way and because he didn't know our neighborhood, he ended up right back on our street (woops!). He hid underneath a parked car on our street and they found him.

Anyways, that was our excitement hopefully for the year! I'm thankful it happened when Kurt was home and that we live in a very safe neighborhood.

1 comment:

Kirby said...

I heard the news story on the radio, but I obviously missed the beginning because I had no idea that this was in our neighborhood. A little too much local excitement ;-)